Sunday, April 25, 2010

MUSICALS!

Right now I am watching The King and I. I have a love (perhaps an obsession) with musicals. When I was a kid I borrowed movies from my grandparents and many of those movies came out 40 years before I was born. Well, I didn't know that and enjoyed them every bit as much (and often more) then the new movies and cartoons for young kids. Here are the TOP MUSICALS (for me) OF ALL TIME! 


#11 AN AMERICAN IN PARIS
Gene Kelley.... delicious.   I love him.  This movie is beautiful, and romantic, it's in Paris for heck sakes.  Some people don't enjoy the dream sequence's. Idiots.
#10 SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS
This one is a goodie.  I used to think how fun it would be if my sisters and I married all brothers.  That would be really freaky, now that I think about it. The women in this movie have always been so beautiful to me.
#9 CHICAGO
I was painting the bathroom a few months ago, and I had this movie playing in the background.  It played 3 full times and I had no problem with that.  The songs in it are so freakin' good.  It is a dark and delightful musical.  All of Queen Latifa's scenes and the closing number make me happy.
#8 MULAN ROUGE
OK.  This movie is a treasure.  I love it a lot more then #8 when Jason and I are driving around belting out the love ballads at the top of our lungs in perfect harmony!  I have love for all things Baz Luhrman (Strictly Ballroom, Romeo and Juliet, WATCH THEM).  Though the songs are not originals, they were made original.... well done.
#7 SINGIN' IN THE RAIN
Gene Kelley, I love you!!!!!!!!!!!!  When he has that door step scene with Debbie Reynolds while it's pouring rain and then charmingly dances with his umbrella.... well it is just the most romantic thing! I love Leana Lamont "What am I, Dumb or somthin?"      
#6 SOUTH PACIFIC
"Some Enchanted Evening" brings tears to my eyes.  His voice is amazing!  This movie is heart wrenching and lovely.  There are a few odd technicolor experiments, but I am so over it.
#5 THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE
I loved it as a kid and it still delights me.  I had the privillage of seeing the broadway debut in New York with my mom. WOW, it was good.  Julie Andrews and Mary Tyler Moore star, and far too few people have seen this.  Our family named our cats Millie and Miss Dorothy in honor of this wonderful film. We are nerds.
#4 MARY POPPINS
Had a tape of this movie as a kid and watched it until it went fuzzy.  This is a great movie, everyone knows why.  I love how Mary is kind of stuck up.  I love when Michael is running for his life so he doesn't have to put his money in the bank. I love when they fly kites in the end.  I love when they clean the nursery. I love when she pours cough syrup out in different colors.  "strawberry cordial, delish."

#3 MY FAIR LADY
Audrey Hepburn, what a fox.  I get a kick out of my sister Kara quoting a scene or two from this movie.  The little dear.  This movie has such elaborate scenes and costumes, wow.  On The Street Where You Live, sigh.

#2 HIGH SOCIETY
Bing Crosby, Grace Kelly, Frank Sinatra, HORRAY!!!!  This movie is beautiful.  The "True Love" song oozes romance.  Louis Armstrong is also in this one and I adore him completely!   SEE THIS ONE.  

I got a little carried away with the list so I guess there are going to be three number one's.  It's my list...

#1 MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS
 Judy Garland is my favorite star that ever was!  The "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" scene makes me weap.  Chris E watches this film with me every Christmas, at my request, and it is my favorite part of christmas.  Bar none.
#1 WEST SIDE STORY
The best overall score, for sure.  I think this is my mom's favorite, and the woman has impecible taste.  All the hits (Maria, America, Somewhere, and Tonight) are great, but there are also all these like mini-songs in it that I love.  Chris and Jason were in a USU stage production of West Side Story.... it was awful (sorry guys).  It was really the worst.   But nothing can stop me from loving this movie full heartedly.  Watch it with a box of tissues.
#1 THE WIZARD OF OZ
This one gets a #1 because my #1 favorite song of ALL TIME is "Somewhere Over the Rainbow".  I made myself a CD of 14 different versions of this song and I would be happy to listen to it, on repeat, for the rest of my life.  Judy Garland's version, of course, being the best. This movie is IT. 

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

The King and I
The Sound of Music
GiGi
Rent
The Unsinkable Molly Brown
Carousel
NINE (this one might move up on the list after I get the chance to re-watch it, I'm a re-watcher)
Flower Drum Song
Brigadoon (sigh)
Hello Dolly

....The list goes on....


7 comments:

  1. I too am a sucker for musicals. I enjoyed reading your list and agree about Gene Kelly and Audrey Hepburn. Unfortunately I am doomed to forever watch muscials by myself. Wally hates them and makes snarky remarks the entire time. Rather, he used to. I haven't even attempted to make him watch one in years. Nest time I'm in Utah we should pop o DVD in the machine and settle in for a good cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT LIST!! West Side Story and Moulin Rouge! are 2 of my favorite musicals of all time! I would also add Grease, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, and The Muppet Movie to my list. :)

    Not sure if movies like The Little Mermaid and The Lion King count, but if they do, throw them in too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Krist, you are the funnest! Not funniest. I loved reading your list and comments. Granddad and I have watched many of these over and over - he,especially, likes to replay movies again and again.

    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Krista, You may get the idea from Grandmom's comment that you inherited this love of musicals from me. You did! Many of the muscals on the list came out when I was growing up or a young man. I would add one more to your list. It is "State Fair." The version that came out about 1944 with Dick Haymes and Jeanne Crane. Love Granddad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastical blog post! I love it!! I liked all your choices too, especially the nod to Mulan Rouge - great movie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you posted all these so I could remember. Unfortunately I married a non-musical lover, so we don't watch them hardly ever. Now I really want to!! Thank you for the sweet compliment on my blog. I'm glad you have one now so we can keep in touch!! Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I want to watch a bunch of musicals. Your picks are sweet. I especially like how your Top Eleven musicals list includes Thirteen musicals. Nicely, nicely, Krista. (Did you get it? I think you forgot Guys and Dolls!!!)

    ReplyDelete